Shares fall every Monday at 7:00 AM PST, Wednesday and Friday at 6:00 AM PST, so subscribe to us Apple Podcasts, Cloudy, Spotify and all casts!
Hello and welcome back to Equity, a startup business podcast where we unpack the numbers and nuance behind the headlines.
It’s just about Christmas, which means you might be stuck with family right now. Whatever holidays you celebrate, chances are there are more people around than usual. We’re here to distract you from that.
To make sure you get a reprieve from Actual Human Interaction, the Equity team has prepared a look back at the year. Large numbers of? Check. Big themes? You know it. Big moments of ‘wait, that happened this year?!’ Well, we wouldn’t want it any other way.
Here’s what we have in store for you:
- High-level venture capital statistics of the year, from around the world, including India, Latin America and the United States.
- The rise of memes and money: Do you remember the Gamestop/Stank saga? That was this year, wonderful. So did the Robinhood IPO, Coinbase’s direct listing, and a host of other related stories. Sure, we would have moved on to other important news by the end of the year, but don’t forget how wild the start of 2021 was from a trading perspective.
- The crypto tree: Like it or not, crypto has been one of the top startup themes this year. Capital flowed into NFT marketplaces, crypto infrastructure projects, new blockchains and more. It was a gold rush, but all the gold was digital.
- A changing creative economy: We had little choice but to talk, talk, chat, whine about whine. Yes, we were talking about the rise and fall of Clubhouse and the larger live audio market. Podcasts, videos, and the creative economy as a whole were pretty big stories this year, so we discussed what happened.
- We also talked about remote working, fintech, insurtech failures, media startups and a sampling of topics that you, the Equity family, sent in via Twitter.
Have we achieved everything? Not really. We didn’t even come close. But that’s because 2021 was a busy damn year. It started out busy and never slowed down. What do we expect in 2022? Well, just wait for next week’s episode!